Copyright 2016

Church History

The Good Samaritan Missionary Baptist Church was organized on April 24, 1958 with eighteen charter members. Rev. Haley H. James was called Pastor.

Church services were held in the Veterans Memorial Building until December 15, 1958 at which time the Old Farragut School at 111 Tennessee Street was purchased from the Vallejo Unified School District.

The church grew and prospered under Rev. James’ leadership. He served as Pastor until 1962. March 18, 1963, Rev. F. K. Simon of Wichita, Kansas was called as Pastor. Under his leadership Circles were introduced to the Missionary Department. Rev. Calvin miller of Vallejo, was called as Pastor on October 15, 1964. Under Rev. Miller’s pastorate, the church purchased the existing property, 407 Capitol Street, on November 15, 1986.

The first worship service was held on January 1, 1967 with Rev. M. T. Thompson, Pastor of Berkeley Mt. Zion Baptsit Church, Berkeley,  preaching the dedication sermon. Rev V. J. Lawhorn, of Roswell, New Mexico was called as pastor on July 10, 1969. Under his leadership, many souls were added to the church, the Deaconess Council and Brotherhood were organized, radio broadcast on station KNBA, the church’s indebtedness was greatly reduced, remodeling of the interior and exterior of the church, and our first church van was purchased. The Lord took Rev. Lawhorn home on December 17, 1979

The church was without a pastor until October 19, 1980, at which time Rev. Dr. M. D. Slade, of Marina was called as Pastor. Under Pastor Slade’s leadership, “God has done great things for us.” Many souls have been saved and added to the church, Ministers are being prepared to go into the vineyard and carry the gospel to the ends of the earth. Ministers are also in training for further work in the ministry, The mortgage was burned February 7, 1982. A new roof was constructed.

The sanctuary has been refurbished with new lighting, carpet, heating, Baptismal Pool, air conditioning and Biblical windows; the Brotherhood, Youth Steppers, WIA/Matrons Auxiliaries, and 4th Quarter Generation (Young Adults) were organized, and adjacent property was purchased and converted into additional parking.  This year the church finished the construction of a new Men’s Restroom on the main floor.